Should've Been a Cowboy (Sons of Chance #4) - Vicki Lewis Thompson That is some serious man candy on this cover, huh? And it’s a good indication of the all action that occurs in Vicki Lewis Thompson’s Should’ve Been a Cowboy – whew, this is one hot cowboy romance!

Summary: Last summer, Alex Keller and Tyler O’Connelli spent a steamy few hours in a hayloft at the Last Chance Ranch in Jackson Hole, Wyoming. She then went back to her job as activities director for a cruise line and he stayed behind to work the ranch, but they never forgot each other. When Tyler returns for a visit to Last Chance, she and Alex rekindle their relationship, but they’re still from different worlds and neither can believe this fling has any long-term potential.

I love cowboy romances and I seriously love any book that takes place in Jackson Hole, so this one worked for me despite some shortcomings. The secondary characters were interesting and three-dimensional, and the family dynamic on the ranch was fun and entertaining. This was the fourth book in Thompson’s Sons of Chance series – Alex and Tyler’s memorable roll in the hay (literally) was featured in one of the previous books – but I had no problem picking up the story threads.

As I said, though, some stuff in the book just didn’t work for me. Things between Alex and Tyler got super hot-and-heavy right from the start – seriously, they were already getting it on by page 52. One other thing that really threw me in this book – the hero and heroine both have gender-neutral names and a few times I had to stop and remind myself who was whom. I’m all for fun and different names (after 100 books, I’m sure Thompson has to get creative), but please don’t make me have to work so hard to keep the characters straight.

If you’ve read the other books in Thompson’s Sons of Chance series, or if you’re in the mood for some steamy cowboy lovin’, you’ll definitely like this book. Fair warning though, you might have Toby Keith stuck in your head the whole time you’re reading it!