The Jefferson Key - Steve Berry I’d only read one other Cotton Malone book, and I enjoyed it, so I was really excited to read The Jefferson Key. I adore novels that combine intrigue and American history, so this was right up my alley.

The premise of the book was interesting – a gang of pirates created during the American Revolution is still active today, albeit secretly and following its own agenda. These aren’t the pirates of movies, or even the Somali pirates from the current events. Instead, these modern pirates, preferring the government-approved term ‘privateer,’ use technology and financial meddling to exact their revenge against those they perceive to be enemies of America.

Malone is a very likable hero, and his relationship with the U.S. president is fascinating, if slightly improbable. In fact, all the good guys in the book have noble motives, an unfailing sense of patriotism and the inability to be killed. That’s OK, though – reading a book like this, the reader generally expects that.

My main problem with the book is that there were too many subplots going on. I couldn’t keep track of all the double- and triple-crossers. Plus, while Berry’s plotting is quick and action-packed, the continual jumping back and forth between all this double-crossing was confusing.

I’ll definitely read future Cotton Malone books (I especially liked his love interest, Cassiopeia Vitt), so even though I was lost at times, I’d definitely recommend this book. I know Scott Brick does the audio version, and he’s terrific at books like this, so if you like audio books, check that one out.