Any Man of Mine - Rachel Gibson I love a good sports romance, and Rachel Gibson’s Seattle Chinook series is one of my favorites. The Chinooks are Seattle’s star NHL team (nope, not real) and these guys are manly men who play hard on the ice every day and just as hard at night. The series has had its ups and downs (I absolutely adore See Jane Score, some of the others are just OK) but Gibson’s new book, Any Man of Mine, is one of the best.

Hockey star Sam Leclaire and event planner Autumn Haven had a whirlwind 5-day courtship and marriage in Vegas that ended badly with her pregnant and him requesting a paternity test. Fast-forward five years: Autumn and Sam only communicate over custody of their son, whom Sam rarely sees. When they reconnect at a wedding, though, Sam realizes that maybe he made a mistake when he let Autumn go. Any Man of Mine is a great second-chance story about a couple that needs to figure out why they got together in the first place and whether they can/should be together in the future.

This book reminded me a lot of Kristan Higgins’ most recent book, My One and Only. Like Nick and Hadley from MOAO, Sam and Autumn have good reasons to be together but very good reasons why they shouldn’t work. Sam in particular has been a bit of an absentee dad and needs to figure out what his priorities in life should be. Does he grovel enough to make up for being a massive jerk in the past? Maybe not enough for my taste, but he does grow up a lot.

I would have liked maybe 20 pages added near the end so that we could really see how both characters, particularly Sam, matured. All in all, though, this is a great romance about a lucky couple that gets a do-over.